The religious (Buddhist) examinations are usually held during the month of Na Yone (June). Since the time of the Myanmar Kings, the religious examinations for the novices and monks were held in the court yard annually including written test and viva voice. Nowadays the religious examinations were held for and wide all over the country.
One of the traditional festivals of the month Tabaung (March) is the festival of the pagoda or stupa on the broad sand banks along the river of the locality. It falls on the full moon day of the month, Tabaung. During the Pagoda festival, there are shopping malls where the visitors from adjacent villages buy and sell. The free shows of Theatrical troupes, dancing troupe and marionette troupe are engaged.
The Myanmar calendar subscribes to both the solar and lunar months. thus requiring an intercalary 30-day 13th month every second or third year. Therefore. the full moon days may change from one month to another in the usual calendar. The Myanmar months and the respective festivals are as follows.
- Full Moon Day of Dabodwei (Countrywide)
- Htamane Festival (Countrywide)
- Mahamuni Pagoda Festival (Mandalay)
- Salone Festival (Tanintharyi Region)
- Shwe Dagon Pagoda Festival (Yangon)
- Kakku Pagoda Festival (Inle)
- Full Moon Day of Tabaung (Countrywide)
- Shwe Umin Pagoda Festival (Shan State)
- Sand Pagoda Festival (Countrywide)
- Mann Shwesettaw Festival
- Thingyan Water Festival (Countrywide)
- Thanakha Grinding Festival (Rakhine)
- Full Moon Day of Tagu (Countrywide)
- Shwe Maw Daw Pagoda Festival (Bago)
- Myanmar New Year Festival (Countrywide)
August (Waso/ Wakhaung)
- Full Moon Day of Thadingyut (Countrywide)
- Dancing Elephant Festival (Kyaukse)
- Kyaikhtiyo Pagoda Festival (Mon State)
- Matho Thingan (Yangon)
- Kahtein Thingan Offering (Country wide)
- Hot-air balloon Festival (Shan State)
- Full Moon Day of Tazaungmone
Mount Popa is a vast volcanic mountain that overwhelms the flat landscape. It is only about one hour drive from Bagan. Popa is located near Bagan and it has many legendary stories about the spirits (Nats) of today. This annual festival is known as Taung Byone festival. it is usually held during the month of August.
The Nats are believed to be super natural powerful beings. stated between the gods and the spiritual beings.
The Myanmars still worship them vigorously. and believe that the Nats can bring luck and prosperity to the worshippers and can also bring danger to those who do not respect them. The word "Nat" is unclear. It may be derive from the Hindu Natha which means lord. savior or protector.
This festival includes the following matters.
- Preparation for the Ritual
- The Offerings
- The Orchestra
- The Possession
The Nat Pwe is usually held for three days. The first day is for the Summoning the Nats. The second day is the Nats' feast. The third is the day for the Nats' departure. Devotees from all over Myanmar. comes to this special festival and offer their donations and enjoy themselves with the blessings of the spirits. every year. They pray for prosperity. fame. and luck for the next coming year.
So. if you can have a visit to Myanmar. to learn about new cultures and to have extraordinary experience. we recommend that you should visit this special festival of Mount Popa.